Repost of first blog. (A new beginning)

To start off, I've moved to Fort Collins. This is more like a trial run than an actual move, just to see if I like it, and can bear not being around the good folk of Minot.

I left Minot about 10:00 am or so Monday, June 30 and spent a few hours in Bismarck bidding adieu to the parents, old friend Landon, and James, as even if I do return as originally scheduled in the third week of August, he'll have already moved to Minneapolis. Same reason for the week of inebriation/frolf with Matt and Andy (although they're going to Europe for 8 weeks or so. Jealousy!) prior to leaving.

On the way down here, three things immediately became apparent. One, I really should have gotten the AC checked out in my van. 87 degrees outside and not having any AC was hellish. And nekid. Two,I should've done more testing on the recently revived vehicle. 5 miles from the middle of nowhere, South Dakota, the van died. Granted, it started after it cooled down a bit, I think the fuel pump was going shitty, but it made for a few terse moments and choice words at that time....also happened outside of Spearfish, SD, twice. And lastly, frolf is a wonderful thing to do when you're on a long drive....it gets you out of the car and off your sore ass, walk for an hour or so, and loosen up the shoulders. Good times.

In Spearfish, there's a nice frolf course, on the Campus of Black Hills State University. Really, it's pretty great. I, for the first time in a couple of weeks, brought out the whole bag of discs and threw something other than the Ontario Roc Matt and I picked up in Bismarck. It was fun throwing a driver and putter again, and I can really tell that my skills have improved overall due to the vow of driver chastity we took after being humbled by the Mandan course. I had probably my best throw of the season, quite possibly my life on the course....close to 80-90 feet with my Ontario Roc, off of my drive, right in the basket. Nice bird on a long 300ft par 3. Threw the full 18 with a group of guys I met on the course in the putting practice area, and played some HORSE with them to warm up, good times.
Amazing shot.
I took the rest of the drive pretty easy, nothing over 65mph, to save on fuel. A two hour nap at the Dwyer Junction Rest Area in Wyoming helped me finish up the trip, as did some coffee and Visine in Cheyenne. I must say I had some pretty awesome timing, however, as when I was pulling into FtC, the sun had just risen and set the mountains alight. Astounding visual added to the quiet morning and Radiohead's "Nude" from In Rainbows playing.

Today was nothing big, just drove around while Jeanette was at work, and it's good to spend time with the sister. Ate some pretty decent food at a local brewpup and quasi-enjoyed their sub-par and overall disappointing Pujabi Pale Ale. I just now stopped at a local liquor store and picked up my first good batch of beers:

Avery "MEPHISTOPHELE'S Stout" (Name besides, it's supposed to be astounding)
Westmalle Tripel - my celebratory beer tonight, I'm happy.
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Stout
Alaskan Amber - Andy and Matt have waxed on about how drinkable this is too much for me to pass up....
Victory Storm King Imperial Stout
Stone Ruination IPA

The store was out of Rochefort 8 and 10, so I couldn't grab a bottle of that, but you have to love looking at a hundred feet of different beers. Seriously. It's fun.
I'm going to finish setting up my room and crack a beer or three. This is going to be a fun summer. Next up, bike the multitudes of trails around here, frolf at least one of the courses, and hit up New Belgium for the first time. Pics will be somewhere, shortly. On another note..."Frolf" doesn't seem to be an accepted term here. The damn puritan bastards all call it Frisbee Golf. Strange. I would think that compounding of words would've started in such a liberal area. It's still frolf to me. Or Disc Golf if it's a really hard course. (read: Mandan)

-w-

0 comments: